Made-From-Scratch DIY Chicken Stock

You've stood the test of time. Your history runs deep.
Deeper than the veins in my tired hands. Richer than the depth of my Grandmother's eyes. 
The seasons change, centuries come and go, yet you're still breathing. Healing. Steadfast.
Steadfast as the sun rises up over the earth and falls back down. 




I met you when I was young. When I was in need. 
My body so weak, yet you were there to provide strength. Nourishment. 
Your nourishment enabled me to rise, rise high and steady and strong. 
Sooner than later I lay in weakness and you were right there. Nourishment.  




The perfect balance. Straight as an arrow, 
Yet a hint... The spice of life. 
Constant as silence at dawn, but your presence, soul warming. 
As warm as a cup of hot soup. 



I love making my own chicken stock. The flavor is so much more savory than store bought, plus I know my family is getting the very best in chicken broth. I came up with this method for making it when my daughter was a baby and I didn't have the time to devote an entire day to canning. With that being said, I usually process my chicken broth when I make it which makes it super convenient because it insures that I always have this liquid gold available in my pantry. My other favorite thing about making my own is I practically get it for free! I'm taking the bones (what I normally would just throw away) and making something nourishing and delicious. 

Recipe adapted from Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon

To watch a video tutorial click video below:



Yield: 6 QuartsPin it

Made-From-Scratch DIY Chicken Stock

Nothing like a recipe that stands the test of time, yet still finishes out at the top. This chicken stock is bursting with flavor and full of tried-and-true nutrition.

INGREDIENTS
  • Bones and carcass of 1 free-range chicken
  • 3-5 large  cloves of garlic, peeled (unless garlic came from your own garden) and cut in half 
  • 3 large or 5 small carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces.
  • 2 stalks of celery, cut into large pieces
  • 1 large onion, cut into large pieces
  • 1 1/2 gallons of filtered water
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. In a large stockpot, combine all of the ingredients. 

  3. Place a lid on top of the stockpot and place in oven.  Turn your oven down to the "warm" setting. 
  4. Cook broth in oven for 12 to 48 hours. (I like to do this overnight). 
  5. When broth is done cooking, strain through a colander and then strain a second time through a mesh strainer into a stainless steel bowl. 
  6. Return broth to a stockpot and place on stove. Bring broth to a rigorous boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. 
  7. Immediately use your broth in recipes, or allow to cool and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. 

Notes

Chicken broth may also be stored in the freezer up to two months. 

If you plan to process your chicken broth be sure to follow the instructions in the Blue 
Ball Canning Book.
Created using The Recipes Generator










Comments

Popular Posts