All Natural, Chemical-Free Dishwasher Detergent

When I was a teenager I always idolized the 1950's house wife. She experienced the beginning of a new era like no other generation before her...

Photo by Pixabay
the generation of modernization. 

For the first time in history families experienced modern conveniences such as indoor plumbing, an electric oven and stove, garbage disposal, and the automatic dishwasher. I remember the I Love Lucy episode where Lucy demands that Ricky buy her an automatic dishwasher in which he retorts back about how his grandmother washed her dishes by hand. The argument results in a bet on living back in time before the year 1900 and seeing who can last the longest.




Now that my family is moving towards the "homesteading" direction, my perspective on modernization has changed ever so slightly. I'm not against, modernization, technology, or modern advancements, but I feel that they need to be used responsibly. Sure an automatic dishwasher saves a lot of time so that you can afford to do something else, but is it worth it? I know women that use their "washing dishes" time for prayer. When technology is used irresponsibly, it causes mankind to become, slothful, unmotivated, stunted in our imagination and ability to progress in a manner that truly benefits society. So I think it's safe to say that each individual needs to choose their technology wisely.

Here at Greeting Tree Farm we are doing many things the old fashion way, for example, making our  own bread and kneading it by hand. Heating our home with wood. Canning and preserving much of our food instead of buying it from the grocery store, but we also use several modern conveniences. My husband's job is entirely wrapped up in technology so we here in our home are striving towards balance.

One technology that is part of my every day life is the automatic dishwasher. About half of my dishes I do wash by hand because they are not dishwasher safe,but whatever I can put in the
dishwasher I do!




Last spring our dishwasher broke and I decided to do a trial period where I would hand wash all my dishes to see if it was even worth getting a new dishwasher.

Verdict says....

At this point in time, my family functions best with a dishwasher. It might be different when Lydia gets a little older and can help more or if it was just Andrew and I, but since I am the main dish washing person in the house... I vote for the dishwasher! 

Below is a dishwasher detergent recipe that is all-natural and chemical free! 

Another bonus is it only costs 7 cents per load! As compared to Cascade dish soap pods which cost 23 cents per load and Walmart's generic brand of the same product costing 16 cents per load. 

To watch a how-to video on how to make this recipe click video below.



All-Natural, Chemical-free Dishwasher Detergent 

INGREDIENTS: 

4 cups of super washing soda
1 cup of citric acid
1 cup of fine sea salt like this one

DIRECTIONS:

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl being careful not to inhale as the super washing soda can irritate nostrils and throat. 

Store in glass jar with a lid. 

TO USE:

Measure soap into dishwasher dispenser as directed by your dishwasher manual.  

Use vinegar as your rinsing agent instead of this product. 

*Citric acid will harden if it comes into contact with moisture so be sure you store detergent in air tight container and your hands are dry when measuring soap out for your dishwasher. 

Let me know in the comments if anyone has tried this recipe or has a better one! 





Comments

  1. WS and CA are both water softeners. They soften water differently. You don't need both.

    Sea salt is unnecessary. Perhaps you believe it softens water. It doesn't.

    Your formulation contains no surfactants. 5%-10% of commercial products are surfactants.

    Bottom line: you are washing your dishes with salty water.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts