DIY Granola

I love, love, love granola, but who doesn't? Granola is one of the most versatile snacks because it comes in many different flavors, styles, and textures that one is bound to find a favorite granola.


Photo by Greeting Tree Farm

What is your favorite granola brand/flavor?
Leave your answer in the comments below! 

I've been an avid granola-eater for well over a decade now and one thing I've learned.... Most granolas on the grocery store shelf are not that good for you. Most of them are very high in sugar, some almost as much as a candy bar. Don't get me wrong I'm not against sugar, but I like to be choosy with where I get my sugar so I don't overdue it. I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia when I was twenty-two years old so I have to be a little more cautious about sugar than the average Joe. 


Photo by Greeting Tree Farm


Anyways back to granola.....

I decided to make my own granola that way I could control exactly what ingredients, how much, and specifically, what kind and how much sugar I want to add. Another thing I love about this recipe is you can tailor it to your liking, for example, if you like chewy granola don't cook it as long. If you like crunchy granola then cook it a little longer. 

Most of these ingredients you already have in your pantry and even if you don't, DIY granola is extremely economical to make so you can gobble it up and not worry about it! 

I originally got this recipe here. This is an Alton Brown recipe that I just love! The only difference is I like to use freeze-dried strawberries like these. 

The recipe is down below, but if you'd prefer to watch a tutorial click here. .


Photo by Greeting Tree Farm



DIY Granola

INGREDIENTS:

3 cups rolled oats
1 cup of chopped pecans
1 cup of chopped walnuts
     *You can substitute any nut you'd like! 
3/4 cup of shredded sweetened or unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup of assorted seeds (Chia, Hemp, flax)
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
1/4 cup of olive oil
3/4 tsp. fine sea salt
1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 Cup of dried fruit


DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
In a large bowl combine first five ingredients and mix well.
In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar, maple syrup, olive oil, sea salt, and vanilla.
Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until evenly incorporated.
Spread granola evenly over two cookie sheets.
Place in oven and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Set a second timer for 15 minutes because the granola needs stirred every 15 minutes while baking.
When granola is finished baking, take out of the oven, transfer to large bowl and allow to cool.
When granola is completely cooled, add your dried fruit.
Transfer to a storage container and ENJOY! 

Eat granola on top of yogurt, as cold a cereal with milk, or as an on-the-go snack!






Comments

Popular Posts