1 Idea + 2 Gallons Milk x 100 attempts = BEST YOGURT EVER!

Okay, maybe it wasn't a hundred times, but I tried making yogurt lots and lots of times before hitting the jackpot with the best yogurt this side of the Mississippi. Rich, creamy, smooth, flavorful yogurt that tastes good every time I make it... and my family loves it too!

Why on earth would anyone want to make yogurt when you can buy it at the grocery store? Well to answer that question it starts with a story...



Photo by Greeting Tree Farm

Once upon a time we joined a herd share. (For those of you who don't know what that is, it is where you buy a share of a herd of cows and you get access to wholesome, raw cows milk produced by the herd). We joined because I was having some digestive health issues and had learned that raw milk can improve your gut health (I am not a doctor, do the research for yourself). My husband and I are not big milk drinkers so I was ending up with a lot of extra milk that was going bad before I could use it. "What can I make with all this extra milk?" At the same time I was buying a quart of organic yogurt once a week from the grocery store that was costing around $5.00, yikes!

Lightbulb!

I'll make yogurt from the left-over milk! I set out on my adventure to make the best yogurt possible. One recipe after another I was not successful. My yogurt would be too runny, or too lumpy. Too sweet or not sweet enough. Call me picky or spoiled, but I wanted yogurt that was the same consistency as store bought... I wanted rich, creamy, smooth, sweet, but not too sweet, yogurt. I almost gave up and then I came across a copycat recipe for Siggi's Pumpkin Yogurt. I tweaked the recipe to make vanilla yogurt and presto! Vanilla Yogurt! My daughter's nick-name as an infant was "Gooby" so we call this yogurt, Gooby's Choice Vanilla Yogurt. 


 Photo by Greeting Tree Farm

The recipe is below, but if you'd prefer to watch a how-to video click here.  

Gooby's Choice Vanilla Yogurt

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 Gallon of milk (May use raw or conventional just be sure it's good quality)
1-5.3 ounce (single serving size) Siggi's vanilla yogurt
1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream
3/8 cup of pure maple syrup (if you like it sweeter, add more!)
1 Tablespoon of Vanilla extract






DIRECTIONS:

In a large stockpot, heat 1/2 gallon of milk on medium heat until milk reaches between 150-180 degrees.

Remove milk from heat and transfer to stainless steel bowl. Allow to cool until milk reaches 110 degrees. In the meantime, take Siggi's yogurt out of fridge to reach room temperature.

Turn oven on to the warm setting.

Skim hard layer off top of milk. Pour milk into glass jars such as ball canning jars.

With a spatula, add a tablespoon of Siggi's yogurt to each jar and keep going around and adding a tablespoon to each jar until it is all gone and completely incorporated into the milk.

In a slow up-and-down manner, stir yogurt and milk in each jar to fully incorporate.

Place lids like these on top of each jar and place in oven.

Turn oven off and pilot light on. Incubate yogurt for 8 to 48 hours. (My sweet spot is 12-15 hrs.) 

While yogurt is incubating DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR! 

When yogurt is finished incubating, it is now time to strain the whey from the yogurt. Place a mesh strainer over a stainless steel bowl and line strainer with a cheesecloth. Empty yogurt jars into cheesecloth and strain for 30-45 minutes, occasionally stirring every 10 to 15 minutes. (If you want thicker yogurt such as Greek yogurt, strain for one hour).

When yogurt is finished straining, transfer to a stand mixer (handheld mixers work great too) and blend on medium speed for 1 minute.

Add 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream to yogurt and blend for another minute.

If you want plain yogurt you are finished, bottle and keep in fridge up to three weeks.... if you have a sweet tooth, continue on....

Add maple syrup and vanilla extract and blend for 30 seconds to 1 minute.

Transfer to clean jars, cap with lids, and store in fridge up to three weeks.

ENJOY! 




Photo by Greeting Tree Farm


Comments

Popular Posts