Does Shopping Local Really Cost more? // An Insider's Look...

As my family and I headed into PROJECT UNBOXED, our biggest question we wanted answered when it came to shopping local was... DOES IT REALLY COST MORE? 

Photo by Pexels; CCO, Creative Commons 

For those of you new here, PROJECT UNBOXED is a year long experiment where my family exclusively shops local for an entire year. To watch the full video explaining the rules click the video below. 




The Wal-Marts and Amazons of the world have convinced us that the only way to truly save money is to shop with them. 
Of coarse, they're not really saving us money when we walk into the store with a list of five items to pick up and we walk out with a whole cart load of goods. I found this happening to me on many occasions... There I was strolling through a big-box store determined to STICK TO MY LIST when a bin of soft, fleecy, cuddle blankets put in the most inconvenient spot (right in the middle of the isle) abrupted my determined stride and distracted me with a 2 FOR $10 deal. Defeated. I walk out with 7 items instead of my mere 5.

Photo by Pexels; CCO, Creative Commons 


So we are now 5 months into PROJECT UNBOXED and have been exclusively shopping local (aside from a few items we could not find locally) and the Verdict says?

WE ARE SPENDING THE SAME AMOUNT AS WE DID BEFORE.


How can that be one might ask? Products are costing more per item, but because they are costing more, we have to be more choosy about what we purchase. So the result is we are bringing less items into the home, but each item is costing a little more. So the conclusion is... By exclusively shopping local I have to stick to my list. No more frivolous purchases. Every purchase must be conscientiously thought out. 
There have been a few items I have found locally that are CHEAPER than the big-box store. For example, there is a toy store in Westerville, Ohio called #naturallycuriouskids where the owner shared with me that many of her toys are priced cheaper than Amazon! Buying coffee beans from #relaxitsjustcoffee in downtown Mansfield saves money in the long run because you need less coffee grounds to make a pot of coffee. 
DOES SHOPPING LOCAL COST MORE? No, not at all. As long as one adopts the mindset that I like to call "intentional purchasing," which means buying with purpose.


Photo by Pexabay; CCO Creative Commons

"Intentional Purchasing" is taking responsibility for what we buy. Instead of aimlessly making purchases for the sake of purchasing, we really stop and think about why we are buying what we are buying and ask the question, Do I really need this? Is there a cheaper option? Can I do without? Do I have something at home that will suffice for now? Will this purchase have a positive influence on myself, my family, and/or my bank account? These are a few of the questions I am learning to ask myself when it comes to purchasing goods. 

This practice has been a majorly positive influence on my family. Not only are we bringing less items into the home, but my husband and I are having to communicate even more about purchases we make and what we are bringing into the home. It has also made us stop and evaluate the intent of the purchase. Are we purchasing to fill a void, kill time, or just for the sake of buying? Or is our purchase truly a need or if anything adding good to our life. 

These have been some really tough questions for us and PROJECT UNBOXED has highlighted some of the the negative behaviors in our shopping habits. Although difficult to swallow, in the end I think we will be better, stronger, and more responsible for it. 

So I leave you with the question... Are you ready to adopted the concept of "Intentional purchasing?"







Comments

Popular Posts