The Natural Home / DIY Recipes for a Clean and Safe Home

When I was growing up I was always cleaning and rearranging my room. I remember in forth grade I had a friend spend the night and she asked what we should do for fun and I said, "how about we rearrange my room?" Needless to say that didn't go over very well! My dad use to joke around that he would put my furniture on wheels because I was rearranging my room so much.


At nineteen I started my own cleaning business and I cleaned houses and offices until I was thirty years old. The cleaning business taught me many things from learning to work with others, running a business from all aspects, and I learned how to clean super efficiently so that my cleaning routine took less time. That little gem has helped me as a wife and mother where from week to week I am maintaining and keeping up with my own home.



After I had been at the cleaning business for several years I realized that I was absorbing and inhaling harsh chemicals from the cleaners I was using more than the average person since I was cleaning for my clients five to six days a week, sometimes multiple jobs in one day. According to the the Environmental Working Group's investigation, cleaning products have been linked to asthma, cancer, and women who clean with these chemicals while pregnant have a higher risk of birth defects. Formaldehyde, a common chemical in mainstream cleaning products, is not directly added to cleaning products, but is a result to the preservatives in the cleaning products off-gassing into the air after the cleaning product is used. Cleaning products such as Comet, Pine-Sol, and Simple Green Cleaning Products are known to contain formaldehyde. Cleaning products known to contain Borax or Boric acid have been studied to show a negative effect to the reproductive organs of both men and women. And if that's not enough to be concerned, household cleaners contain many irritants that can cause skin problems.

The above information was enough to convince me to make the big switch to natural cleaners and after looking up a few recipes I couldn't believe how easy they were to make and how cheap too! Not only was I saving money in my cleaning business, but I was keeping myself healthy and safe while improving the health of my clients. I do still keep bleach and some other hard-core cleaners on hand for those really tough jobs, but I try to use these cleaners as minimally as possible!

Below are recipes for an All-Purpose cleaner, window cleaner, furniture polish, and scouring scrub/ upholstery and carpet deodorizer.


Vinegar

Vinegar is my go-to ingredient for cleaning. Although vinegar is not a registered disinfectant, according to Better Homes and Gardens, it kills most pathogens including the flu virus without causing negative effects to the home and those that live there. It's the the acid in the vinegar that does the trick. Vinegar is also very cheap and can be found in almost any store. Vinegar should not be used on marble, granite, or stainless steel.




For an easy window cleaner, mix 1 part vinegar with 2 parts water and with a lint free cloth, shine up those windows so they gleam and glisten!


Pin it

All-Purpose Cleaner

Who doesn't love a cleaner to tackle all jobs! Don't look any further... This is your answer!
prep time: 5 MINScook time: total time: 5 mins

ingredients


  • 1 part white distilled vinegar
  • 2 parts water
  • 20 to 30 drops of essential oil (I like lavender and tea tree oil, I use 10 drops of each)

instructions


  1. Combine ingredients in a spray bottle and enjoy! 

notes

Do not use on marble, granite, or stainless steel.

Be sure to educate yourself on how to use essential oils properly before trying at home.
Created using The Recipes Generator





Pin it

All Natural Furniture Polish

prep time: 5 MINScook time: total time: 5 mins
This homemade polish will leave your wood smelling lemony fresh!

ingredients:


  • 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 10-20 drops of lemon essential oil or 1/4 cup of lemon juice

instructions:


  1. Combine ingredients in a mason jar 
  2. Place a lid on the jar and shake vigorously until well combined
  3. Using a lint-free cloth, dip cloth into polish and work into the cloth 
  4. Using cloth polish all wood furniture, cabinets, and woodwork

notes

If hesitant to use on a piece of furniture, test in an inconspicuous place first.
Created using The Recipes Generator

Castile Soap

Castile soap is another go-to cleaner that I keep on hand as an all-purpose cleaner. I use castile soap to wash woodwork, cupboards, floors, (aside from cleaning it's also our body wash, hand soap, and dog shampoo), sinks, counters, toilets, and tubs.




Baking Soda

Another great cleaning aid that works great for scouring sinks, tubs, and toilets. We have hard water that is high in iron so baking soda is my life savor for lifting iron stains. I also use this to make my upholstery and carpet deodorizer. This is an animal lover's best friend to eliminate unwanted odors, but even if you don't have indoor pets this is still a  great option to insure a fresh clean smell in your carpeted areas. 
Pin it

All Natural Carpet Deodorizer

Carpet can get dirty very fast, especially if you have pets and children. The vacuum cleaner is never quite enough, but with this deodorizer, your carpet will smell fresh and clean all the time!
prep time: 5 MINScook time: total time: 5 mins

ingredients


  • 1/3 cup of baking soda
  • 15 to 30 drops of essential oil (lavender, lemon, clove, peppermint, or eucalyptus)

instructions


  1. Combine ingredients in a bowl
  2. Sprinkle on cloth couch or carpet and allow to sit for 1 to 3 hours
  3. Vacuum baking soda up and viola! Fresh clean furniture and carpet
Created using The Recipes Generator

Photo by Pexels

Essential Oils

Essential oils are by far one of my favorite finds. They have so many uses and they smell so good! I love using lavender, tea tree oil, lemon, eucalyptus, and peppermint in my cleaning products. Be sure you do your research before using essential oils because they can be harmful if not used correctly. My all-time favorite brand are Dr. Jocelin's Practitioner Grade Essential oils. You can find them here. I've used Young Living, Doterra, and Now essential oils and Dr. Jocelin's essential oils are by far my favorite. They are more potent and higher quality so you don't need quite as much when using them. 



Once you start making your own cleaners you'll never look back! Be sure to print out the recipes and add them to your recipe book or you can tape them to the inside of your cleaning closet so they're extra handy. 

For a video tutorial click video below: 



REFERENCES:

Lowrey Boyd, Rebecca.(2018, January 16). Does Vinegar Really Kill   Germs.  https://www.bhg.com.au/does-vinegar-really-kill-germs

https://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners/content/cleaners_and_health#.Wt8uV8gvzuo

Comments

Popular Posts