Carol Sue's Chocolate Chip Bars....An Extra Yum!

Some of my best recipes come from one of the best treasures in life.....Grandmothers. In this post I'm sharing one of those recipes....Chocolate Chip Bars. I've been fortunate enough to have several grandmothers in my life, each occupying a special place in my heart and in each special place is a well overflowing with life-changing memories.


One snowflake-saturated day a few weeks ago, I visited my grandma (Carol Sue) at the nursing home and she was going on and on about how much she wanted one of her chocolate chip bars. I have been cleaning for this grandma every two weeks for the past nine years and on many occasions I would come through the door and find the chocolate chip bars on the counter. I would clean as fast as possible so I could sit down and enjoy one of these bars with my iced coffee while I poked fun at the soap operas she would have on the tube. (I don't think she liked this too much, but yet she would never stop me). Anyways, back to the nursing home.... I told her I'd be more than happy to make them, but I didn't have the recipe. With barely enough time to grab a pen and paper she rattled off the recipe and I said next time I come in I'll bring some. Her mouth was already watering. 


What I absolutely love about this dessert is it's not too sweet, but just right...
  almost happy-go-lucky... just like my grandma's personality come to think of it. She's never in a hurry. Doesn't spend too much time worrying, yet she deeply cares about her three children. My grandma has a little bit of sass, but not too much. (One time while eating out in a restaurant the bus boy walked by with his jeans half way down his legs and she yelled, "pull your pants up! Nobody wants to see that!"). One thing my grandma loves talking about more than anything is food. Recipes. What they use to eat on the farm. What I'm making for dinner. What she's making for dinner. The new recipe featured on Rachel Ray. She knows her food and knows what tastes good. In this case... lets get right down to it....

Chocolate Chip Bars.



To watch a tutorial click the video below.



CHOCOLATE CHIP BARS

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup of butter (2 sticks), melted
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 Cup packed brown sugar
1/2 Cup cane sugar
2 1/4 Cup of unbleached, all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
A pinch of sea salt
1-12 once package of semi-sweet chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a mixer blend the melted butter, eggs, vanilla, brown sugar, and the cane sugar. Mix until well blended.

Add flour and baking soda to mixer and blend until well incorporated.

Slowly add the chocolate chips while mixer is on low.

Pour batter in 9 by 13 baking dish.



Bake for 25 minutes.

When finished baking, allow to cool before cutting into them.



I want to give a big thanks to my grandma for allowing me to share her recipe with you.

What recipes do you use from your grandmother? 







Comments

Popular Posts