Sweet Potatoes and a Lesson for Mama

Last March I bought three sweet potatoes from the store, put them in glass jars with water and watched something truly amazing! The sweet potatoes grew shoots that I was able to plant in the ground! Because our May was so cold and wet I had to wait until the end of June to plant. I wasn't sure if they were going to produce because sweet potatoes need about three to four months according to the Farmer's Almanac to mature and I was afraid it was too late! 

It is now the beginning of October and I harvested my sweet potatoes and boy was I surprised! 

Photo by Greeting Tree Farm

There were an abundance of sweet potatoes!

 I was having a difficult time pulling them out of the ground. At first I was trying to pull them out one at a time, which was difficult because they grow in a bunch.

All the ends were stuck in the ground and I kept breaking them in half. Finally I asked the Father how to remove the sweet potatoes without breaking them, (Sometimes we jump so quick to ask "Google" we forget to go straight to the Creator himself).Then I realized that things are stronger when they work as a whole rather than in an individual state. So I pulled the entire bunch out and they all came out in one piece.


Photo by Greeting Tree Farm

Sometimes we moms feel like we are on a deserted island mothering all by ourselves. The enemy works fast to make us moms feel inadequate, overwhelmed, and exhausted. 

Back in July my daughter decided she wanted to start using the potty. We had been working on potty training on and off for about a year and a half, but finally she had made the decision to do it for herself. Super excited Mama jumped right on the band-wagon with her and gave her everything she needed to be successful. Things were going really well for about a month and a half until one day she decided she didn't want to use the potty anymore. I would take Lydia to the potty and she would scream "bloody murder" as if it was the most terrible thing in the world. 

"How am I suppose to handle this?What did I do wrong?Do I step back or stand firm on my ground?I'm a failure..."

These were some of thoughts running through my head. Frustration, crying, and many potty accidents later I decided to seek help. I'm so thankful to be surrounded by lots of mommies whether that be family such as grandmas, aunts, and my own Mother or friends who are new mommies or have been doing the Mommy-thing for a while. The hardest part is asking for help, but I'm so glad I did. I stepped back for about a day or two, took a deep breath, and decided to gently stand my ground. My daughter, Lydia, is definitely a leader, meaning she is independent and strong-willed. The enemy was really working hard to have me see these things as a detriment, but after a phone call to a friend, she made a comment that really opened my eyes to a whole new light. 

I've always been a people-pleaser and never have been good at saying "no," which means that I really stink at setting boundaries. Through my daughter's streak of independence and strong-will I am learning how to say "no."

How to set boundaries through love rather than anger.  

After a few days of working on this Lydia is back to using the potty regularly now. We still have our moments where she becomes defiant, but I stand my ground and she eventually responds and uses the potty "like a big girl" as I always tell her. 

My hope is that by me setting boundaries with her now she will learn how to set boundaries for herself because as the old saying goes, "children learn more from what we do rather than what we say." 

Photo by Greeting Tree Farm


We as parents get so caught up in teaching our children that sometimes we forget that they are teaching us. Lydia shows me every day how much I depend on the Father as a mom. That I am not on a deserted island parenting all by myself, but rather surrounded by guiding hands and hearts to help me be the best mom I can possibly be. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I want to give a big thanks to my Mom, Aunt Dorinda, and Jocelin for all your advice, kindness, and help! 








Comments

Popular Posts